• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

40 year gap.

Just been on my 1st. cruise 40 years after coming ashore to work in a shipping associated position and for 35 of them observing what I perseved as a detereating standard of seamanship of ships crews. In my day you had to get your training with sea time and be 20 before obtaiñing your 2nd Mate's Certificate (After a 3 to 4 year cadetship). I understand that now training is mainly college based and you only have to have 6 months sea time before you can obtain a watch keepers certificate at 18. As a result of this I resisted cruise holidays. This year my wife found a cruise which covered several places on our bucket list of places we wanted to go, so I agreed to go. This wàs on Thomson's " Island Escape " on it's last year with them, I was very pleased with the standards on this vessel and enjoyed the experience so much on this 7 day cruise that we have re booked to go on the vessels final 2 cruises (14 days) in October. I hope other vessels have the same standards as will be going again next year.

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker