• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

A stupid question about ships

HMASAvalor

Hello fellow members,

I'm a new member of this website. I've been an Aviation Geek my entire life however I've recently gained intresset in ships as well (I have no problem adimiting that I prefer Naval Destroyers and Cargo Ships so if someone has good websites/forums for those I would be interested) and I find one thing very interesting about ships, over the years airplanes have been able to go down to a two person crew yet ships still have many people on the bridge, why is that?

Regards,

HMAS Avalor

THE CREW:
These are the people in charge of keeping the ship well maintained, running smoothly, and on course - all the while ensuring everyone's safety, keeping detailed records, and being knowledgeable of maritime laws and regulations. While the captain is usually very visible, you may not realize that there are many additional crew members, each with important duties The Captain is the highest ranking officer on the ship with the most perks, it definitely pays to be Captain. However, this title comes with a lot of responsibility such as the care of all the crew and passengers aboard the ship. In cases of emergency the Captain makes all executive decisions. Additionally, the Captain is in charge of navigation and operations. Regulates company policies, environmental policies such as pollution effects as well as national and international maritime laws. The Chief Officer assists the Staff Captain with duties and regulations. This role is overall responsible for the maintenance and external cleanliness of the vessel. In addition this officer instructs other seaman in general maritime guidelines pertaining to safety, laws and environmental procedure. Works closely with the Hotel Manager to discern maintenance issues. The Chief Radio officer oversees the ship's communications regarding weather, traffic etc. In addition the Chief Radio Officer handles the direct contact with the company's head office via e-mails, faxes and phone calls. Maintains radio log book and radio accountant. In addition the Chief Radio Officer is responsible for the maintenance of emergency communication equipment on board and in the life boats. The First Assistant Engineer Supervises all work carried out in the engine room. Trains new crew members hired to work in the engine room. This position also supervises all activities that involve the transfer of oil and sludge, sewage treatment plant and sewage pumps and ejectors. The First officer Maintains all navigational equipment including lights, storage of emergency signaling equipment. In charge of maintenance of the emergency life boats, rescue boats and tenders. The First Officer spends most of their time on the bridge supervising the bridge operations and navigational systems. The Quarter Master Manages the deck staff on duties performed daily such as attending to ropes, maintenance and tenders. The Staff Captain This is the Captain's executive officer, in charge of the medical and deck department's safety and order. After the Captain the Chief Officer is second in command in the decision making process. This role assists the Captain with all duties including the overall welfare of the crew and passengers on board the ship. I hope this is helpful.
:)

A Pilot, also referred to as "Marine Pilot" or "Maritime Pilot" is a mariner who maneuvers ships through dangerous or congested waters, such as harbors or river mouths. He / She is normally an ex ship captain and a highly experienced ship handler who possess detailed knowledge of the particular waterway e.g. actual depth, direction and strength of the wind, current and tide at any time of the day.
Maneuvering a ship through the shallow water to berth / UN berth in a port is basically a teamwork which involves, apart from the port Pilot, ship's captain (jointly responsible), ship's crew, port Tugs and shore linesman. Since the Pilot is on board the ship, he/she controls the tugs and linesmen through a radio and the ship directly. Ship captain ensures his crew carry out the pilot orders.
High skill is required to be a pilot as the channels through which the ships move towards the port is normally too narrow and shallow for the size of the ships, stopping distance of the ships being a few nautical miles and the fact that ships do not steer at slow speed. In an unfortunate case of an accident, high pollution is a risk as the ships carry thousands of tonnes of fuel for her own consumption. Also if a ship is wrecked in the channel, the channel and the port could be closed for months till the shipwreck is removed. hope this information is helpful

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker