• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

I'm confused about Tips vs Service Charges, HELP

WildGrits

I am traveling on the Escape in January.

Bartenders receive an 18% automatic gratuity from all beverage service charges. Those purchasing beverages packages will be charged the 18% gratuity and service charge when purchasing the package.

I have read different info about this topic. If you get the "
Unlimited open bar (Premium Beverage Package) for two ($138.60 service charge per person not included)" will you be charged gratuity per drink when ordering them or does this Service Charge cover that?

Also, when it states a service charge daily of $15, is that the same as gratuities or will we be charged tips to our on board account once we are on the ship?

Last edited:
Norwegian Premium Beverage Package Prepaid is $99.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge. You pay the 20% gratuity on the $99, not per drink.

The daily $15 service charge/gratuities are separate that the beverage package. This $15 daily service charge is per person/per day and is basically the tips for the rest of the crew (other than bartenders) that includes restaurant staff, stateroom stewards, concierge and behind-the-scenes support staff.

We will be on the Joy in Oct. 2020. We got our beverage package free, and did pre-pay the drink gratuity when we put down our initial deposit.

So the daily service charge, can that be pre-paid as well? Or as WildGrits suggested, is that only charged to your onboard ship account? I hate hassling with tabs while on vacation, would prefer to get it out of the way prior to departure. Thanks for any help.

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker