• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

Norwegian Breakaway

sherry333

Hi all- my brother and sister are currently on The Breakaway -they messaged me and said the Capt has changed plans 3 times today- they are due to port at 7am Sunday-(tomorrow) in Miami. But now they said they will not port until the 4th. That is so crazy to me. does anyone have any further info as I can not find anything currently as to what they decided to do- I tracked the boat and it is close to the Keys, it just doesnt make any sense to wait- in my opinion- again I have never been on a cruise- and this was my sister's first "real vacation" going on this cruise. We live In Georgia, where the course for Dorian has change to hit the coastal area and the Carolina's on the 4th- so this is making no sense to me- if the track stays like it is Miami would not be effected until Monday- Bahamas Sun at 2 according to the weather channel.

The latest from Norwegian:
"UPDATE: August 31, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST (1:00 AM UTC)

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing

Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the United States Coast Guard are taking all necessary precautions to prepare for the storm and have made the final decision to close Port Miami this evening, August 31, 2019. As such, Norwegian Breakaway’s seven-day Western Caribbean cruise will be modified. She will no longer call to Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize; nor Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Instead, she will sail a modified four-day itinerary, which will include a sail date of Wednesday, September 4, pending approval by government and local port authorities. If confirmed, she will spend a day at sea on September 5, call to Cozumel, Mexico on September 6 and remain at sea on September 7 before returning to Miami, Florida on September 8, as planned.

We are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard, as we continue to monitor the storm and will provide an update by Sunday, September 1 at 8 p.m. or earlier."

At this time Port Miami is closed for inbound traffic (September 1, 2019).

Last edited:
The latest from Norwegian:
"UPDATE: August 31, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST (1:00 AM UTC)

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing

Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the United States Coast Guard are taking all necessary precautions to prepare for the storm and have made the final decision to close Port Miami this evening, August 31, 2019. As such, Norwegian Breakaway’s seven-day Western Caribbean cruise will be modified. She will no longer call to Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize; nor Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Instead, she will sail a modified four-day itinerary, which will include a sail date of Wednesday, September 4, pending approval by government and local port authorities. If confirmed, she will spend a day at sea on September 5, call to Cozumel, Mexico on September 6 and remain at sea on September 7 before returning to Miami, Florida on September 8, as planned.

We are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard, as we continue to monitor the storm and will provide an update by Sunday, September 1 at 8 p.m. or earlier."

At this time Port Miami is closed for inbound traffic (September 1, 2019).

My son is on his honeymoon, on the Breakaway as well. I'm feeling the same way as you. I think its crazy! He called tonight from ship ...compliments of the cruise line. I just wanted them to be in a safe place and they were to stay in cozumel 2 extra days before mreturning to miami. That was fine. Then they decided to leave at 4:00 this morning and head for home beating the storm. And it looked like the storm wouldn't hit until Wed giving them time to get there flight home sunday night .
Now today he tells me coast guard has closed port Miami due to currents. Now they are somewhere out in ocean just sitting there for 3~4 days..I heard all the passengers yelling whole hi was on phone with him when captain was making announcement. At least take them to Key West do they can get off ship and do something. Hope ship is equipped to handle another 4 days re: food and water st least!

Last edited by a moderator:
Port Miami is already experiencing unsafe currents for docking large ships due to Hurricane Dorian in combination with king tides.

The Breakaway most likely does not have the option to dock in Key West due to other cruise ships/cruise lines already scheduling Key West as an alternate destination port for modified cruise itineraries over the last 72 hours. Many Bahamas bound cruises have already scheduled Key West as an alternate port. The Port of Key West is also limited in docking space. They are only able to accommodate 3 large cruise ships at one time.

My son is on his honeymoon, on the Breakaway as well. I'm feeling the same way as you. I think its crazy! He called tonight from ship ...compliments of the cruise line. I just wanted them to be in a safe place and they were to stay in cozumel 2 extra days before mreturning to miami. That was fine. Then they decided to leave at 4:00 this morning and head for home beating the storm. And it looked like the storm wouldn't hit until Wed giving them time to get there flight home sunday night .
Now today he tells me coast guard has closed port Miami due to currents. Now they are somewhere out in ocean just sitting there for 3~4 days..I heard all the passengers yelling whole hi was on phone with him when captain was making announcement. At least take them to Key West do they can get off ship and do something. Hope ship is equipped to handle another 4 days re: food and water st least!
Hey- I woke up this AM and as upset as I was last night and as upset as they all were- it was meant for them to go back out- I beleive in prayer and that is all we have been doing here the last few days- I'm not sure if you believe - if you do- I think thi is all in His hands and like someone else said the port there was already seeing roughy sea and that is why they closed it- I'm ok with it today- Prayers for your son and daughter in law and for calming of your nerves and just for everyone everywhere in its path to be safe- it is now a Cat 5. Where do they live if you do not mind me asking!- Sherry

Port Miami is already experiencing unsafe currents for docking large ships due to Hurricane Dorian in combination with king tides.

The Breakaway most likely does not have the option to dock in Key West due to other cruise ships/cruise lines already scheduling Key West as an alternate destination port for modified cruise itineraries over the last 72 hours. Many Bahamas bound cruises have already scheduled Key West as an alternate port. The Port of Key West is also limited in docking space. They are only able to accommodate 3 large cruise ships at one time.
Thanks for all the info Greg- sure do appreciate it!- Sherry

Almost looks like Breakaway is heading back towards Gulf....position of ship had changed directions on map, and so has latitudes and longitudes. not sure...but looks that way. As long as everyone is safe aboard ships that's all that matters right now.

NCL BREAKAWAY UPDATE: Just got a photo email from my son who is on honeymoon aboard Breakaway... They were holding up a hand written note that I could read, saying that they will be docking in New Orleans on Tuesday...and they will contact me then. That's all I know, but it is a little update :)for those who are wondering what is going on.

Hurricane Dorian – UPDATE: September 1, 2019 - 8:30 PM EST (12:30 AM UTC)

As we continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, we are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard to ensure we are taking all necessary precautions to maintain a safe and secure sailing for all guests and crew on board. While it is our every intention to maintain the original itinerary as much as possible, the security of everyone on board always takes precedence. Due to the storm, the following itineraries for Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Sun have been modified.

Hurricane Dorian – UPDATE: September 1, 2019 - 8:30 PM EST (12:30 AM UTC)

Go to ncl.com and click on more info

Hi all- my brother and sister are currently on The Breakaway -they messaged me and said the Capt has changed plans 3 times today- they are due to port at 7am Sunday-(tomorrow) in Miami. But now they said they will not port until the 4th. That is so crazy to me. does anyone have any further info as I can not find anything currently as to what they decided to do- I tracked the boat and it is close to the Keys, it just doesnt make any sense to wait- in my opinion- again I have never been on a cruise- and this was my sister's first "real vacation" going on this cruise. We live In Georgia, where the course for Dorian has change to hit the coastal area and the Carolina's on the 4th- so this is making no sense to me- if the track stays like it is Miami would not be effected until Monday- Bahamas Sun at 2 according to the weather channel.
Hi sherry!!! http://Www.marinetraffic.com']Www.marinetraffic.com (trust me) 😘

Plus ALOT MORE!!!!

I have had NO FAITH in the norwegian cruiseline... UNTIL THIS experience... yes we are all worried about our loved ones ( for me... its my dad and aunt) but I have to say CUDOS to this captain for keeping our loved ones AWAY from the storm 👍) just as the ship has life boats... they plan extra days of food... ( as long as the ship doesnt lose power to keep the water running and the food refrigerated... they're safer than we are here waiting to see where Dorian's gonna hit) 😘👍

NCL BREAKAWAY UPDATE: Just got a photo email from my son who is on honeymoon aboard Breakaway... They were holding up a hand written note that I could read, saying that they will be docking in New Orleans on Tuesday...and they will contact me then. That's all I know, but it is a little update :)for those who are wondering what is going on.
Hey- it looks like they are really close to docking tonight- my nephew said he saw an arrival time of 10pm

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker