• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

Tracking semester at sea

My daughter just started on her ship for semester at sea. I was trying to track her but her ship is not the option. She os on the mv world odyssey.

Please let me know how i can track her

I agree, this is the worst website. Why bother...

If you need help all you have to do is ask.

Be aware the MV World Odyssey is the same ship as the MS Deutschland. It is just renamed every year (since 2015) from September until April during the Semester At Sea sailing.

My daughter is on the same ship right now. I've been able to track every step with her. Up until the past 24 hours, it has been very reliable. Is it possible that you are not entering the correct information? Cruise ship/Semester at Sea/MV World Odyssey. Unfortunately, it is very frustrating the past 24 hours as it has not updated at all and, of course, they are in very rough seas. I've been receiving seamail from her (she is loving all rough seas) but still it would be nice to have update date information. Can someone tell me if the ship has to manually enter their location? Just wondering why sometimes its updated every 2 minutes and other times it can be over a day. Thanks.

My daughter is on the same ship right now. I've been able to track every step with her. Up until the past 24 hours, it has been very reliable. Is it possible that you are not entering the correct information? Cruise ship/Semester at Sea/MV World Odyssey. Unfortunately, it is very frustrating the past 24 hours as it has not updated at all and, of course, they are in very rough seas. I've been receiving seamail from her (she is loving all rough seas) but still it would be nice to have update date information. Can someone tell me if the ship has to manually enter their location? Just wondering why sometimes its updated every 2 minutes and other times it can be over a day. Thanks.

Online vessel tracking relies on the use of Automatic Identification System (AIS) data. Most modern vessels even today still use VHF, line-of-sight equipment, to transmit their AIS data. This line of sight limitation will require even the tallest of vessels to be within 80-100 miles of shore in order for the data to be received. Smaller ships or older ships with weak transmitters will transmit significantly less than 80-100 miles. Newer satellite relay services are available (S-AIS) but at a very high cost. You will not get S-AIS satellite tracking data free on the internet. The land based VHF relaying is what all free online ship tracking uses. With this limitation you will not typically get many updates while ships are crossing large open bodies of water. Updates will once again be received when the ships are closer to a shoreline.

Currently the MV World Odyssey is in open waters heading towards Portugal it should be within land based AIS reporting shortly.

Online vessel tracking relies on the use of Automatic Identification System (AIS) data. Most modern vessels even today still use VHF, line-of-sight equipment, to transmit their AIS data. This line of sight limitation will require even the tallest of vessels to be within 80-100 miles of shore in order for the data to be received. Smaller ships or older ships with weak transmitters will transmit significantly less than 80-100 miles. Newer satellite relay services are available (S-AIS) but at a very high cost. You will not get S-AIS satellite tracking data free on the internet. The land based VHF relaying is what all free online ship tracking uses. With this limitation you will not typically get many updates while ships are crossing large open bodies of water. Updates will once again be received when the ships are closer to a shoreline.

Currently the MV World Odyssey is in open waters heading towards Portugal it should be within land based AIS reporting shortly.
Greg, thank you so much for this reply. It sincerely puts a mothers mind at ease. As long as it still floating - I'm good! Thanks again for your detailed reply :)

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker